'Jowar' also known as Jolada/Cholam/Sorghum , a millet variety that is gluten free. Jowar Bhakri is a traditional breakfast that is popular in Maharastra and parts of Karnataka. It is even referred to as 'Farmer's breakfast' as it gives so much energy to even carry on even with difficult physical work/activities such as farming.
The Bhakri dough is shaped using hand which requires little skill and practise. In this Masala Bhakri Recipe, finely chopped onions, green chillies and plenty of fresh herbs such as curry leaves and cilantro are used .
Masala Jowar Bhakri:
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 2
1 cup = 250 ml
Makes : 4 bhakris
1 cup Jowar Flour
1 onion ( finely chopped)
1 green chilli ( finely chopped)
handful of cilantro( finely chopped)
1 sprig curry leaves ( finely chopped)
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon carom seeds/ajwain
2 teaspoons oil ( for cooking)
salt to taste
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the jowar flour, salt and mix well.
2. Add the chopped onions, green chillies, cilantro and curry leaves.
3. Mix well.
4. Pour warm water little by little and make a smooth and spreadable dough.
5. Grease a tava with oil .
6. Divide the dough into equal size balls.
7. Take one ball and place it on the greased tava.
8. Wet your fingers and spread the dough to make a circle .
10. Once the bhakri starts to brown on the sides, flip them.
11. You can cover and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
12. Remove the bhakri from the tava and show the back of the tava under running water to cool it down.
13. Once the tava is cool, grease and repeat the above process for the remaining dough.
Healthy, nutritious and wholesome Masala Jowar Bhakri is ready to be served. You can serve them with your choice of chutneys or curry. I served it along with a delicious Lobia Masala.
Chef tip : Instead of shaping the bhakri directly on the tava, you can grease a banana leaf or parchment paper and shape them. Invert the dough side on to the hot tawa and slowly remove the banana leaf/parchment paper.
Happy Cooking !