Dosai is a staple in our home. Dosai with milagai podi , a tasty chutney and sambar are usually the hot favourites. But today, I am sharing another very tasty side dish that can be served with Idli, Dosai or even chapathi . You can add potatoes, brinjal and other vegetables of your choice. But I have simply used onions and tomatoes and they taste so good.
Without further delay, let us dive straight into the recipe.
Chettinadu Avial :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
1 Cup = 250 ml cup
1 onion ( finely chopped)
2 tomatoes ( finely chopped)
salt to taste
For the spice paste :
1/4 cup coconut ( fresh)
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2-3 green chillies ( adjust according to your spice preference)
1 red chilli
2 garlic pods
1 tablespoon roasted gram/ chutney dal/pottu kadalai
For tempering :
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1" cinnamon stick
For garnish :
cilantro leaves or mint leaves ( optional)
1. Grind the ingredients given for the spice paste smoothy using a mixer/ mixie adding little water and set it aside.
2. Heat a kadai/ pan with oil and add the cinnamon stick.
3. Now add the onions, tomatoes, salt and fry them till the tomatoes break down and become mushy.
4. Now add the ground spice paste and 1 cup of water.
Chef tip: Adjust water quantity according to your taste preference.
5. Let the mixture cook for 4-5 minutes and switch off.
Your delicious Chettinadu Avial is ready to be served along with your tiffin.
Happy Cooking !