We all know that when we order South Indian Tiffin in restaurants, we always get a white and red coloured chutney , sambar along with the tiffin dishes like Idli or Dosai. The white chutney is the coconut chutney and the red chutney is the spicy tomato chutney.
Though different hotels have their own recipes to their chutneys, here is a Super hit tomato chutney recipe that I make very frequently at home.
The taste will differ depending upon the tanginess of your tomatoes and the variety of chilli that you are using. A another tasty and tangy chutney recipe from my kitchen to yours.
Chettinadu Tomato Chutney :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10-12 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
5 ripe tomatoes ( chopped)
4-5 small garlic pods
10-12 dry red chillies
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon sesame oil
rock salt to taste
1-2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon urad dal/husked and split black gram
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1. Heat a kadai/wok with 1/2 teaspoon oil over low flame and fry the red chillies till they are fragrant and transfer them to the jar of a mixer/mixie.
Chef tip: The chillies should not turn black , as it will change the taste completely
2. Place the kadai back on flame , add oil and temper with urad and mustard seeds and transfer it to a serving bowl.
3. Heat the same kadai with remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil and add the garlic pods and tomatoes.
4. Add salt , turmeric powder and allow the tomatoes to soften .
5. Add 1/4 cup of water and cook by gently pressing and stirring them so that the tomatoes become more juicy and come together .
Chef tip : Do not add water later after grinding the chutney. Add more water at this stage itself , if you want the chutney more of a pouring consistency.
6. Transfer the tomato garlic pulp to the jar of the mixer.
7. Grind it coarsely .
Chef tip : You can grind it smoothly too.
8. Add it to the bowl with the tempering.
9. Mix well and adjust salt if required.
Delicious Hotel Style Tomato Chutney is ready to be served.
Happy Cooking !