When you hear the name 'Kurma' what is the first thing that comes to your mind?
I am guessing that you are imagining a spicy gravy that is 'white' or 'yellow' in colour with colourful vegetables , right? And making a kurma out of brinjal might be the last option. Alright, now that is going to change with this amazing brinjal recipe. You can serve this kurma as a side dish to rotis/chapathi or enjoy it along with rice and ghee.
Without delay, let me share this amazing recipe with all of you.
Recipe Courtesy : Mrs. Kritika Malkumar
Kathirikkai Kurma Recipe:
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
2 cups brinjal ( chopped, I used the large Brinjal variety )
10-12 sambar onions/shallots
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder ( optional)
salt to taste
For tempering :
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon ghee ( optional, but will add taste)
1/2 " cinnamon piece
1 sprig curry leaves
For the masala paste ( to grind):
1/2 " ginger ( chopped)
7-8 garlic pods
4-5 green chillies
10 small onions
1 teaspoon peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds ( you can add upto 1 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds/black til
1/4 cup fresh coconut ( chopped)
For garnish :
finely chopped cilantro leaves
1. Add all the ingredients given under ' for the masala paste' in the jar of a mixer and grind it to a smooth paste adding 1/4 cup of water.
2. Heat a kadai/pan with oil + ghee and temper with the spices mentioned under 'for tempering'.
3. Now add the shallots and fry it till they turn transparent.
4. Now add the brinjal, salt, turmeric powder( optional) and cook over low to medium flame till the brinjal is cooked and lightly browned.
Chef tip : This step is important as the brinjal needs to be roasted well for best taste.
5. Once the brinjal is roasted well, add the ground masala paste and cook and mix well.
6. Adjust water and salt quantities and cook covered for 5-7 minutes and switch off.
7. Garnish with fresh cilantro/coriander leaves.
Delicious Kathirikkai Kurma is ready .
Have you tried my Kongunadu Urulai Kurma recipe ?
Happy Cooking !