Sunday, July 29, 2018

Tam Brahm Style Vendakkai Kari | Ladies Finger Stir Fry Recipe | Gluten Free and Vegan Recipe


Okra Fry

Hi Supermoms,

Before I share this recipe, I want to share the interesting conversation that led to this recipe. 

It was a day when I woke up a little tired and had no mood or strength to cook. Also, there was hardly any vegetables in my refrigerator  .  So, I voiced my disinterest to my daughter who was at home that day. 

Daughter : "Amma, what vegetables are there to cook today? " . 
Me:  " Only Vendakkai" ( Ladies Finger/Okra). 
Daughter : " OK. Do you have Vendakkai Kari recipe on your blog ? 
Me : "Why are you asking ?"
Daughter : "I will see the recipe and cook Amma. You take rest ".
Me: "Hmmm.. that recipe is not there Chellam ( darling in Tamil) . I thought it is very simple and did not update ".
Daughter : " No Maa. You should. It will be very helpful "
Me : " Seri vaa, ippo kathu tharen " ( Never mind, I will teach you now ).

Gayatri  making sandwiches for everyone 

So, I started teaching this simple ladies finger stir fry to my daughter and she learnt and photographed all the steps . She was so surprised at how easy it is to cook this vegetable. Care needs to be taken while cutting the ladies finger. You can also use 'sambar powder' to spice it up . But I have used spice powders that will be easily available in any Indian household. My children enjoy cooking but it has always been continental cuisine . When my daughter showed interest to learn Indian cooking, I was so thrilled. 

Tam Brahm Style Vendakkai Kari

Tam Brahm Style Vendakkai Kari :

Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4 
1 cup = 250 ml cup 

Ingredients :

250 gm Ladies Finger/Vendakkai/Okra ( chopped into 2 cm roundels)
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder/dhania powder
salt to taste 

For tempering : 

1 tablespoon oil ( I used sesame oil)
4-5 curry leaves ( torn roughly)
1/2 teaspoon channa dal/ bengal gram
1/2 teaspoon urad dal/husked and split black gram
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds


 Important Chef Tips to chop  Vendakkai/Ladies Finger :

1. Wash the ladies Finger well before cutting them.
2. Now, pat dry the washed whole ladies finger in a kitchen towel.
3. Once the ladies finger is dry, then chop and remove the corners. 
4. Cut them into small pieces and spread them out in a wide plate and set it aside for 10 minutes.  
5. Your ladies finger is now ready to be cooked. 

Method of Preparation :

1. Heat an iron kadai/wok with oil and temper with ingredients given for the same. 

2. Add the chopped ladies finger .
3. Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and dhania powder .
4. Mix well and cover with a lid for just 2 minutes. 
Chef tip : You can avoid covering the ladies finger if they are fresh . I covered it as my ladies finger was not so fresh . Covering also prevents burning of the vegetable. 
5. Now open the lid and continue frying the ladies finger over low to medium flame. 
6. Once the ladies finger is partly fried, add salt and continue frying.
7. Fry for a  minimum of 15 minutes to get nicely browned ladies finger . 
Chef tip : You can fry longer if desired. To avoid drying of the ladies finger, you can partly cover and cook . But every two minutes, you will have to give it a stir. 

Your delicious Vendakkai Kari is now ready to be served . I made a North Arcot Style Pachai Morkuzhambu and Paruppu Sadam to go along with it. 

Ladies Finger  Curry

Happy Cooking !

With love,

Masterchefmom
















No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...