Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Strawberry Thokku | Strawberry Relish Recipe by Masterchefmom| Gluten Free and Vegan Recipe


Strawberry Thokku

Hi Supermoms,

I have already spoken in length about my love for strawberries and my experiments with it. I am now so comfortable with using strawberries in my daily cooking. I have shared so many of my strawberry recipes already. Today, I am sharing another great tasting strawberry recipe. 

'Thokku' in Tamil language means a 'mashed pickle' or 'relish'. Mango thokku made using grated raw mangoes is the most popular at home. As we all love spicy food , I was so happy to try out strawberry thokku using the same ingredients and method I use for making a traditional mango thokku. 

The only difference is that , since strawberry is soft, I preferred to chop them rather than grate them. Also, since strawberries are really delicate and reduce in quantity once cooked, you have to be careful while adding the spice. 

The sweetness and the sourness of the strawberries might vary from region to region. So, adjust the spice and the sourness( add lemon juice if required)  according to the strawberry variety . 

I cooked the relish using sesame oil as it is the preferred oil to make a pickle in South India. But, you can use oil of your choice. Also, I added just a pinch of  fenugreek powder in the relish as, too much will turn it bitter. 

Though I had cooked thinking that I would store the thokku for a couple of days, it got over in just one family lunch. I mixed rice with the thokku and served it as 'Strawberry Rice'. Everyone enjoyed the taste. It was simply delicious. 

A must try !!

Strawberry Thokku

Strawberry Thokku: 

Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 25- 30 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup

Ingredients :

12-14 strawberries ( roughly chopped)
pinch of turmeric
pinch of fenugreek powder ( you can powder 3-4 fenugreek seeds in a mortar and pestle) 
1/4 teaspoon powdered jaggery or sugar ( optional)
1.5 teaspoons Kashmiri Chilli powder ( adjust)
salt to taste

For tempering :

1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sesame oil 
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds ( coarsely crushed in mortar and pestle)
pinch of asafoetida


Method : 

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a heavy bottom pan or kadai/wok.
2. Add the crushed mustard seeds and pinch of asafoetida.
3. Now add the chopped strawberry, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
4. Cook over low flame till the time, the strawberries, turn mushy and all the extra water is absorbed.
Chef tip : keep stirring to avoid the thokku sticking to the bottom of the pan or burning. 
5. Add this point, add one teaspoon of oil and continue to stir the mixture till the oil separates on the sides of the pan.

6. Switch off.

Your Strawberry Thokku is now ready !

You can mix the thokku with rice or once the thokku is completely cool, transfer it to an air tight , clean, odour free container .

Strawberry Thokku

If you like this recipe, you can also try my Amla Rice/ Nellikai Sadam  recipe . 

Happy Cooking !

With love,

Masterchefmom




No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...