Friday, May 8, 2015

Strawberry Lassi - A dedication to strawberry lovers!!!

Hi Supermoms,

The recipe that I am going to share today is most popular in Punjab, India. It is fresh yoghurt and cream drink that is deliciously sweet or salty. Adding fresh fruits adds more goodness to the Sweet Lassi.

During my veggie shopping this week,  I was so delighted to find boxes of strawberries in the racks. Picked up couple of boxes....will be updating you with many strawberry recipes. Do your kids love strawberry too?



Here are the strawberries that I picked up! So glad that I spotted them in summer when the market is flooded only with mangoes and melons!!!






                                    


Supermoms, let's take a minute to understand lassi, though most of you must be aware of it ...as it is so popular. 

Lassi (pronounced [ləs-siː]) (La'See, لسی) is a popular, traditional, yogurt-based drink from India and Pakistan and popular in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Lassi is a blend of yogurt, water, spices and sometimes, fruit. Traditional lassi (a.k.a., "salted lassi", or simply, "lassi") is a savoury drink, sometimes flavoured with ground and roasted cuminSweet lassi, however, contains sugar or fruits, instead of spices. Salted mint lassi is highly favoured in Bangladesh.

Information Courtesy:Wikipedia 


          


I love the chilled Lassi served in tall Kullad. When chilled, the cream solidifies on the surface. You will need a spoon to scoop out that yum layer. I have shot the pics immediately after I made them, so that layer is missing ...

           
       

I have'nt followed anybody's recipe . I just followed my instincts based on the various lassi's that I have tasted over the years. You can get the best Lassi  on the Highway Punjabi Dhabas. The best I have had  is in Haveli in the Delhi - Chandigarh highway.

                                         
                                      


    Ingredients:

1. Milk- 250 ml
2.sugar-100gms( adjust according to your taste)
3.Thick curd( yoghurt)- 500 ml
4. Strawberry-10 to 15 numbers
5. Slivered nuts and strands of  saffron for garnish(optional),Malai( milk cream)
6. Ice cubes 


1. In a thick bottomed vessel boil the milk with sugar. 

       



2. Keep stirring when the milk starts boiling. Let the milk reduce to half the quantity. When the milk boils, you can collect the top layer of Malai or cream to garnish later. Refrigerate this milk.

      

3. You can use a blender or mixer. First add the chopped strawberries and some ice cubes.

                                    

4. Add the chilled milk ,yoghurt and blend again. 


      


       



5. For additional froth, I use my wooden hand blender( called as 'Madani' ). Wow, I must say that it is real fun preparing the lassi with a Madani.

6. Now pour the Lassi in the serving glass and garnish with slivered nuts, Malai and Saffron. 
       


Chill this glass for atleast an hour for the maximum Lassi experience. I   understand that it will be very difficult to wait...but it will be worth the wait!!!!

       

Do try and share your feedback. You can make any fruit Lassi using this recipe. I have mango in my mind...what about you?

Happy Cooking!

With love,

Masterchefmom









No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...