Friday, November 24, 2017

Kuthiraivali Aval Salad | Indian Style Barnyard Millet Salad | Gluten Free and Vegan Salad Recipe


Barnyard Millet Salad

Hi Supermoms,

First of all , I am so happy to share with you that I have started taking cooking classes along with my friend Jyothi.  We successfully completed teaching our first batch of students authentic Indian food . The class was so much fun and in the process , I realised that I truly enjoy teaching people to cook. Also, it is so exciting to meet people and feed them. 

So the cooking class preparations kept me busy whole of last week and I was not able to spent time on sharing recipes on my blog. However, I have been cooking and creating new dishes and will start sharing them all with you soon. 

For those who have missed some of my previous posts, I would like to recall that I have been creating 'salad meals' that suit the Indian palate . Millets are healthy and are gluten free too. Nowadays you get the 'millet poha' which is so easy to cook. Wash and steam them and they are ready to eat. It was so much fun creating this easy and tasty salad recipe.

You can add vegetables and herbs of your choice . Also, adjust the heat of the salad according to your preference. I had boiled chickpeas ready, so used them in the salad. Chickpeas always adds so much taste to the salad. 

Barnyard Millet Salad


Kuthiraivali Aval Salad | Indian Style  Barnyard Millet Salad :

Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup =250 ml cup

Ingredients :

1 cup green moong dal sprouts
1/2 cup Kuthiraivali aval/ barnyard millet poha/ beaten barnyard millet rice
1/2 cup chickpeas ( boiled) ( optional)
1 cup spinach ( finely chopped)
1 onion ( finely chopped)
2 tomatoes ( finely chopped)
1 garlic ( coarsely crushed)
1/2 " ginger ( grated and extract juice)
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder ( I used Kashmiri chilli powder)
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder 
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon oil ( of your choice)
salt to taste

For garnish :

coriander leaves or mint leaves ( tear and add)
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Method :

1. Wash the millet poha and steam them along with spinach and moong beans.


2. Heat a wide pan or kadai with oil and add the garlic and ginger juice .

3. Fry the garlic over low flame for 30 seconds and add the onions and tomatoes.

4. Add all the spice powders , salt and allow the mixture to cook over low flame for just 5 minutes.
5. Now add the steamed moong beans, millet and spinach.
6. Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
7. Taste and adjust the spices and salt.

8. Switch off and add lemon juice and herbs.

Your simple , healthy and tasty Indian Style Barnyard Millet salad is now ready !!

Kuthiraivali Aval Salad

I am sure you are going to try this recipe soon.

Happy Cooking !

With love,

Masterchefmom












No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...