Thursday, March 5, 2015

CRISP POTATO RÖSTI

Hi SUPERMOMS,

I am sure most of our kids love Potato. 
It is a favourite at my home too! I try different dishes with potato. 
This is a time taking but delicious dish which can be had as a starter or along with rice or flat breads. ROSTI is a popular potato dish of the Swiss. Presenting my version of CRISP POTATO RSTI

...I know what you all are thinking...don't we call this POTATO FRY or POTATO PORIYAL??? No, there is a difference, read the recipe to see why....








Grated potato is  generally used for ROSTI. But as I was lazy, chopped it into small squares.
If you are using grated potato, do squeeze out the water after grating the potatoes.

INGREDIENTS:

POTATOES- 4 to 5 no.s

Bread crumbs-2 to 3 tbsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp( I use Kashmiri chilli powder, as I love the colour)
Turmeric powder
Mustard powder- 1/4 tsp
Dhania powder-1/2 tsp
Anardana powder-1/4 tsp
Aamchur powder- 1/4 tsp
Garlic powder-1/4 tsp
Onion powder-1/4 tsp
Butter- 2 tbsp( you can use any vegetable oil too)
Coarsely crushed pepper
Masala powder( your favourite one)- I used Maggi magic masala( 1 sachet)
Roasted and peeled groundnuts and mixture( optional) for garnish


Let us start preparing:

1. Use a large shallow pan, so that there is uniform crispiness of potato. Heat the butter and add the potatoes and add salt first. Please keep the flame in low,while you are adding all the spices.


2.Now, add all the other spices, except the special masala flavour that you are going to use( i used Maggi magic masala...as it was a new flavour to my family )


I added curry leaves, as I was making this for lunch to eat along with rice. Please avoid it if you are going to serve this as your starter. 

4. Now  comes the important step. Potato is very delicate vegetable, and cooks very fast. But at the same time, because of the butter/ oil, we do not want it to get fried before it cooks...so just close the lid of the pan for a very short while( just 3 minutes so that the Potato is cooked). DO NOT CLOSE FOR MORE TIME AS THE POTATO WILL BECOME SOGGY AND BREAK. Do not fully close, keep a ladle like this.


5. On opening, check that the potato is done. Just pop one in your mouth and check that it is done. Then, keep the stove in high and keep stirring so that the extra water gets evaporated. Then reduce it to low flame and let it keep frying. 

6. While it is frying in low flame, let us get our brown crumbs ready. I had my frozen crumbs. Dry roasted a 2 tbsps of the crumbs in a hot wok. I did not use any butter or oil. Ofcourse you can add a tsp of butter for more taste and crunchiness,



7.The crumbs are crisp and pop another potato in your mouth to check its crispiness. Add the crumbs and your own magic masala!


The special masala that I used, to give it a different flavour! You can use your own !

8.Mix well . The entire process of frying is going to take atleast 45 minutes to one hour to get the crunchiness. I used the gas stove, if you want, you can drizzle oil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes after ou have added all the masala. After 30 minutes, remove, sprinkle the bread crumbs and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes and serve hot!

9. I garnished the ROSTI with rosti groundnuts. It was so crunchy. A perfect starter! My son just  loved it!

Small additions in our daily cooking can add so much of taste !!!!



I am sure you will agree SUPERMOMS!

HAPPY COOKING!

With Love,

MASTERCHEFMOM









No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...