Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Jeeraga Rasam | North Arcot Style Jeera Rasam Recipe | Traditional Cumin Seed Soup Recipe of Tamil Nadu



Hi Supermoms,

To me, 'rasam' is an Emotion. It is  my favourite dish and I feel so happy when I make a great rasam. I have shared so many varieties of rasam before and each recipe is special. It always reminds me of my paternal grandmother Nagalakshmi aka Kuppu . She has set a very high standard for Rasam in our home and to be compared to her cooking , especially rasam is the ultimate compliment. 



I feel so lucky to have tasted her  rasams during my childhood. She was such a kind and loving human being. I often share stories with my children about my summer holidays spent in my grandma's house in Coimbatore. She used to take me and my cousin's to the near by 'Fancy stores' and indulge us with nail polishes and sticker bindis ( which was a big thing those days). All this without my grandfather's knowledge. It was a secret project between grandma and grand daughters and we used to feel so thrilled by our little adventure ๐Ÿ’ž. Small joys of life๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜. Visit to grandma's place is incomplete without enjoying her famous mouth watering  Gulab Jamuns. Well, I will share that story later...

Coming to today's rasam recipe , as the name suggests, the taste is  dominated by cumin seeds/jeera . We all  know the healthy benefits of including cumin seeds in our daily diet. So adding cumin seeds through this rasam recipe, is a great choice๐Ÿ’ฏ . The rasam is easy to make and can be enjoyed as a soup or an appetiser. 

I dedicate this rasam recipe to my dearest Kuppu Paati.



Jeeraga Rasam | North Arcot Style Jeera Rasam Recipe : 

Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special Note on Vessel required : Rasam cooked in the Traditional 'Eeya sombu' gives the most authentic taste . You can however make rasam in earthen vessels or stainless steel.  Also, try using an iron ladle to temper the rasam .

Ingredients :

1 small tomato ( finely chopped) 
small lemon size tamarind ( soak in 1 cup warm water for 10 minutes and extract juice)
1 sprig curry leaves
1 dry red chilli 
salt to taste

To fry and grind : 

1 tablespoon pigeon peas/tuvar dal/toor dal
2-3 dry red chillies
2 teaspoons jeera/cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter

To temper :

1 teaspoons ghee/clarified
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
pinch of asafoetida

Method :

1. In the eeya sombu or vessel of your choice add the tamarind juice, tomatoes, curry leaves , dry red chillies and then place it over low flame.
Chef tip : When you are adding the tomatoes to the tamarind juice, press the tomatoes as if you are juicing them into the tamarind extract. Also when you are cooking in eeya sombu , always cook over low flame . 
2. While the rasam is simmering, you can heat a ladle or small pan with ghee and fry the ingredients given under 'to fry and grind' till they turn fragrant and switch off.
3. Transfer this to the small jar of a mixer and grind them coarsely.
4. By this time, the raw smell of the tamarind would have escaped. Add 2 cups of water. 
Chef tip : You can adjust the water quantity after tasting the rasam. 
5. Now add the ground rasam mix and salt.
6. Allow it to simmer till the time the rasam froths on the sides of the vessel. 
7. Switch off.
8. Heat ghee and temper with ingredients given for the same. 
9. Pour it into the rasam and mix .

Your home will be filled with the aroma of this simple yet delicious Jeeraga Rasam. 


Happy Cooking !

With love,

Masterchefmom








No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...