Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Masterchefmom's Puliogare Pulao | Puliodarai Pulao | Gluten Free And Vegan Recipe


 Hi Supermoms,


This was one such morning when I was clear that I am going to make a one pot dish and finish the lunch quickly so that I could focus on my work. I had so many pending recipes to update on my blog. 


I asked my family for suggestions. My husband wanted to have something traditional like puliodarai/puliogare and my daughter wanted to have Biryani or Pulao. I just wanted to do something in a jiffy and get over with lunch quickly.


Just a day before, I had freshly ground South Indian Sabzi masala, which will allow me to skip the roasting and grinding part. This means I can do Puliogare in no time. On the other hand I did not want to disappoint my daughter. It was then that the idea struck me to combine both these yummy dishes and make a delicious ”Puliogare Pulao”. 


Why don’t I try to integrate my Sabzi Masala along with sesame seeds, peanuts and more dry red chillies in the tempering. This will take care of Puliyogare.  How about adding crushed black peppercorns along with ginger and garlic. Well that would take care of the Pulao flavour.  All I was left do now was actually trying it out.


I tried it and it came out simply great. My family loved it. I am so eager to share this recipe with you all. You can also make this recipe using my Instant Puliogare Podi . 


Come, let’s cook the Puliyogare Pulao and pleasantly surprise our family !





Puliogare Pulao | Puliodarai Pulao :


Preparation time : 10 minutes

Cooking time : 20-25 minutes

Serves:4

1 cup = 200 ml cup 


Note : Please adjust the water quantity depending upon the type of rice you are using. I have used local basmati rice and this measurement gives me non-sticky and fluffy rice. If you are using packet basmati rice, then read the instructions given in the packet with regard to rice:water measurement. 


Ingredients:


1.5 cups basmati rice ( wash and soak in 3 cups of water)

2 teaspoons tamarind paste or 

1 large lemon size tamarind ( soak in 1 cups water and extract juice)

2 onions( thinly sliced)

1 potato(cubed)

1 carrot (cubed)

10 French beans ( cut into 1”pieces)

1/4 cup peas

Salt to taste



To be coarsely crushed :


7-8 garlic cloves

1”ginger 

1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns 


Spice powders:


3-4 teaspoons sabzi masala powder

1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder

1/8 teaspoon fenugreek powder (optional)


For tempering :


1/4 cup sesame oil

1/4 cup peanuts 

10 cashew nuts (halved)

1 teaspoon channa dal/bengal gram

1/2 teaspoon urad dal/husked black gram

1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds

1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds

3-4 dry red chillies( adjust according to the heat of the chillies)

1 sprig curry leaves


You can watch me cook this delicious One Pot Puliogare Pulao in the video below 👇




Method :


  1. Heat a pressure cooker or instant pot with oil and temper with all the ingredients given under’To temper’.
  2. Now add the coarsely crushed ingredients and finely sliced onions.
  3. Let the onions fry for 1-2 minutes over low flame.
  4. Now add the sabzi masala, turmeric powder,salt  and methi powder(if using).
  5. Mix well and fry for another minute.
  6. Now add all the other vegetables and fry for one more minute.
  7. Add the tamarind juice ( approximately 1 cup of tamarind juice)
  8. Let the tamarind juice cook for at least 5-7 minutes.
  9. Now add the soaked basmati rice along with the soaked water.
  10. Pressure cook for 1-2 whistles only.
  11. Switch off and allow the pressure to release completely.


Your flavourful Puliogare Pulao is now ready to be served!


I served it with potato wafers/chips. The pulao was polished off within minutes.


Do try and share your feedback with me.




Happy Cooking!


With love,


Masterchefmom 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...