Saturday, November 21, 2020

One Pot Sambar Sadham | Easy One Pot Sambar Rice | Sambar Rice in Pressure Cooker | Gluten Free Recipe




Hi Supermoms,

Hope you are all safe and healthy and had a great Diwali with your family. Diwali means buying new clothes, equipments and appliances for yourself and for gifting. Well, I have been wanting to buy a new cooker for this festive season, among other things.

Buying a pressure cooker is always a very important decision for me. You will agree with me that pressure cookers are the most important appliance in the kitchen, which is the heart of any home.

 I want to share with you the important factors that I consider when I buy a cooker:

- One, it has to feel very comfortable in my hand. Be it while opening it, closing it, placing it on the stove, picking it up, washing it or simply placing it on the shelf.
- Two, It has to be feel sturdy and stable. I like my vessels tough and rugged.On top of that if they are aesthetically designed then it is double bonus.


- Three, It has to be a safe and secure, which means it should have heavy bottom, a lid that closes properly, gasket and valves that work perfectly during unforeseen emergencies
- Finally all spares like gaskets, valves etc should be easily available in the nearby markets.



So, my cooker purchase expedition ended up in me buying two cookers. A Prestige…and a Hawkins….hahaha…you must be wondering why two cookers! Well, you all know how much I cook! 😁😁


Having procured both of them, I went about checking them out in detail and this is what I found:

- The lid of the Prestige Svachh feels more solid and compact. This is very important to prevent unnecessary spillage. We want the flavour of the recipe intact and the nutrition preserved. Biggest bonus, is the fact that it will be easier to wash later. 
- The Prestige Svachh base fees solid and quite flat. This means I can use it on both gas stoves and induction tops. For me cooking on induction top is very important. It allows me to cook wherever, get additional cooking done in parallel and during days when I run out of gas suddenly. Also thanks to a good solid base, the cooker will remain looking good as new and won’t get out of shape in the long run.


- I also found the Prestige Svachh feels lighter. Again, the benefits of this is shorter cooking time.
- Finally I did the safety check, which is very important, The Prestige Svachh has this mini-metallic safety plug which ensures the release of built-up steam when the temperature and pressure within the cooker rise above the safety levels by simply melting away, thereby preventing any unforeseen situation.

I tried both out to decide which is going to be my primary cooker and which would be my back-up cooker. The recipe I cooked for this trial, was a yummy Mix Veg Sambar Rice on both of them to help me decide! 

You can watch the detailed recipe to make this super tasty One Pot Sambar hereπŸ‘‡


I am very excited to share this recipe because, it is so easy to make and the best part is that there is no need for any sambar powder. Yes, you are right! You can now cook this Mix Veg Sambar Rice, even if you don’t have Sambar powered at hand. This is a tried and tested recipe of mine that even my son cooks in his dorm. Now without delay, let’s start cooking!





Pressure Cooker Sambar Rice | Best One Pot Sambar Sadham Recipe By Masterchefmom


Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves :4
1 cup = 250 ml cup

Important Preparatory Steps: 

- Wash rice and dal along with fenugreek twice and soak them in 3 cups of water for at least 10 minutes. 
- You can also soak tamarind in 1.5 cups of warm water, filter and use. If using tamarind pulp, dilute the pulp in 1.5 cups of water. 

Ingredients:

1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup pigeon peas/toor dal
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
Lemon size tamarind (soaked in 1.5 cups warm water)
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1.5 teaspoons Kashmiri chilli powder
3 teaspoons coriander powder
Salt to taste

Vegetables:

15-20 shallots/sambar onion
2 tomatoes(roughly chopped)
1 bell pepper (chopped)
1 carrot (peeled and chopped)
1 potato(peeled and chopped)
1/4 cup coriander leaves (optional)

To Temper:

2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons ghee/clarified butter
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
pinch of asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves

Method:

1.Heat the pressure cooker with oil and ghee.
2.Temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida.
3.Now, add the shallots, tomatoes and other vegetables.
4.Add turmeric powder,Kashmiri chilli powder, salt and mix well.
5.Let it cook for 2-3 minutes over low flame. 
6.Now add the filtered tamarind juice and mix well.
7.Add the  rice and dal mixture along with the soaked water. 
8.Add coriander leaves (optional) and close the lid of the pressure cooker and add the weight.
9.Pressure cook over low/medium flame up to 4 whistles and switch off. 
10.Once the pressure releases, open the pressure cooker. 

Your super flavourful and delicious One Pot Cooker Sambar Sadham/ Sambar Rice  is now ready to be served!

Well, you must be eager to know in which cooker the Sambar Rice came out better, as I cooked in both. Clearly Svachh did the job faster. There was no spillage at all. I loved the perfect texture of sambar rice. The Sambar rice rightly cooked, not overcooked and I simply feel more at ease with Prestige. Best part is, I can use on an induction stove too... 

Do check out Prestige Svachh. It is available in Aluminium, Stainless Steel and Hard Anodised variants, in different sizes such as 1.5, 2L, 3L and 5L. It retails from INR 995 onwards and can be purchased at leading dealer outlets, Prestige Xclusive stores and major online portals.  

Well, I am going to enjoy this Mix-veg Sambar rice with freshly fried Appalam! Remember to try it out on your new Prestige Svachh and give me your feedback...

Happy Cooking!

With love,

Masterchefmom

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...