Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Carrot Vepudu | Carrot Poriyal | Carrot Thoran | Simple Carrot Stir Fry | Gluten Free and Vegan Recipe

 Hi Supermoms,


“ Amma, you said that today is a cleansing/detox diet day, how come food is so tasty” - These were my daughter’s words after eating the first few morsels of the detox rasam rice and carrot kari that I made recently. I acknowledged her compliment and told her “ Sweetie Pie , healthy food can also be so tasty “. 


You are all familiar with my weekday lunch platters. It usually has at least one stir fry vegetable. The winter carrots are still in season and I love cooking a simple stir fry which we call as ‘Kari’ at home. Some of my friends call it as Vepudu/thoran or poriyal. 


You can call this dish in the name you choose but let me assure you that this simple and humble dish will become one of your family’s favourite dish. My daughter who generally fusses to eat carrots (especially when cooked) loves this carrot kari. Your little ones are also going to enjoy them.


I have shared the recipe video of the Carrot Stir Fry below:



Masterchefmom’s Carrot Kari/Carrot Vepudu/Carrot Thoran :


Preparation time : 10 minutes

Cooking time: 10-12 minutes

Serves: 2-3

1 cup = 250 ml cup


Ingredients :


5 small carrots ( peeled and finely chopped)

1/8 tsp turmeric powder

2-3 tsp fresh grated or ground coconut 

Salt to taste


For tempering:


1-2 tsp sesame oil ( you can also use coconut oil)

1 dry red chilli ( adjust)

1/2 tsp mustard seeds

1/2 tsp urad dal

1/2 tsp chana dal

1 sprig curry leaves


Method:

  1. Heat a pan with oil.
  2. Add all the ingredients for tempering .
  3. Stir in the carrots.
  4. Add salt, turmeric powder and mix well.
  5. Cover and cook for a few minutes ( covered).

Chef tip: If the carrots are fresh and tender, they will take very less time to cook. Add water accordingly. I needed to add just 3 tbsp of water as the carrots were fresh)

  1. Open and check if the carrots are cooked yet have a little crunch. Cook for another minute or till the time the extra water is absorbed.
  2. Switch off and add fresh coconut. 

Chef tip: I usually add pieces of coconut into my mixer and grind it for a few seconds. You can store this coconut in the refrigerator and use it for garnish. 


Your delicious carrot kari is now ready to be served. So tasty!!!!


Do try out this recipe and share your feedback with me. 


Happy Cooking!


With love,


Masterchefmom


No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...