Thursday, March 4, 2021

Garlic Rasam | Rasam Recipes By Masterchefmom | Gluten Free Recipe

 Hi Supermoms,


‘Rasam’ is an emotion. 


The flavours of rasam instantly transports me to my grandma’s home. I have earlier shared with you the story of my grandma’s rasam . For those who are new to my blog, let me quickly re-cap this story which is legendary at our home. We fondly remember our grandma ( Kuppu Paati) and her most amazing rasams.


It was summer holidays and my mother along with my brother and myself planned a trip to my aunt’s place in Gujarat.  It was our first trip to the State and none of us knew Hindi or Gujarati !

When we were searching for my aunt’s house, asking for directions, it was the aroma of my grandma’s rasam that led my mother to finally find the right home.  Ask my mother about  grandma’s rasam and immediately she would share with you how she could smell Paati’s rasam from two streets away !!! 


So, ‘Rasam’ is not just a dish for us. It is nostalgia, it is love, it is an emotion. 


Now you can understand, why I am so passionate about rasam. 


Today’s rasam recipe also has so many fond memories . Garlic Rasam is my father’s favourite rasam and while growing up, every Sunday was a ‘Garlic Rasam Sunday’ paired with onion sambar and a potato roast. The ultimate Sunday meal. My father used to involve my brother and myself in peeling the garlic and we used to enjoy the process of sitting together and prepping for this delicious meal. 


Oh, so many lovely memories. So, this recipe is a tried and tested one for more than four decades. Garlic is so good for our health. You can include it in your family’s diet easily with this recipe.


 This heirloom recipe is absolutely soothing for the palate. 


You can check out my garlic rasam recipe video 👇


Do try out and share your feedback with me. 


Garlic Rasam Recipe by Masterchefmom

Preparation time : 5 minutes

Cooking time : 25 minutes

Serves: 4-6

1 cup = 250 ml cup

Special Vessel : Iron ladle for tempering the rasam.


Ingredients :


1/4 cup  pigeon peas/toor dal (wash and cook with a pinch of turmeric powder and 1 cup of water , mash/whisk  and add 1 cup of water and dilute)

1 lemon size ball of tamarind ( soak it in 1-2 cups of hot water , extract the juice)

2 small ripe tomatoes

20-25 garlic cloves ( peeled)

1 sprig curry leaves ( tear roughly)

2.5 teaspoon rasam powder 

salt to taste


For tempering :


1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter

3/4 teaspoon mustard seeds

pinch of asafoetida


For garnish :


Cilantro leaves ( roughly chopped)

Curry leaves


Method:



1.  In a medium size vessel, add  the peeled garlic cloves along with two cups of water and allow it to cook over low flame for 10 minutes.

2.Now add the roughly chopped tomatoes , tamarind water, rasam powder, salt and allow the rasam to simmer for another 10-12 minutes.

3.The tomatoes and garlic would have cooked well by now. Add the diluted dal and let it simmer for few minutes or till the time the rasam starts to froth on the sides of the vessel.

4. Heat ghee in a tempering ladle or pan and temper with mustard seeds and asafoetida.

5. Garnish the rasam with coriander leaves and more curry leaves and pour the tempering over the rasam.

6. Immediately close the vessel so that the flavours does not escape.


Delicious Garlic rasam is now ready to be served. I served it with Mushroom 65 and Keerai kadanchathu


Happy Cooking!


With love,


Masterchefmom


No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...