Thursday, September 6, 2018

Godhumai Rava Upma | Broken Wheat Upma Recipe | Dalia Upma | Vegan | Tiffin Recipes by Masterchefmom

Broken Wheat Upma Recipe

Hi Supermoms,

Upma is not at all popular at home. And if I am planning to make  'Godhumai Rava ' ( broken wheat) , then it means I am not keeping well 😂.  It is only at such times I get approval to make it for dinner . 

I personally like all types of upma and luckily my daughter loves broken wheat too. Her favourite way of enjoying it is with milk and sugar. Today, I had to prepare lunch for just the two of us and broken wheat  was my first choice. I recently shared Vegetable Dalia Upma recipe  on the blog, where I  cooked the dalia separately and added it to the vegetables. You can also check out the traditional Godhumai Rava Upma Kozhukattai recipe .

Today, I am sharing an easier recipe of upma. Of course, the taste will be different as I am pressure cooking. But you can always  use a heavy bottom pan to cook. 
Somedays,  you are in no mood to cook anything elaborate or have very limited time , right? This recipe is perfect for such days. I have added chopped onions and tomatoes in the recipe. You can skip them and make it plain too. 

 I met my uncle from Coimbatore recently and our conversations revolved around food and culture of Coimbatore .  He was sharing many interesting stories and one among them was about broken wheat upma. Apparently even today,  in many families there, godhumai rava upma is a staple breakfast. However, the way they are served is very different. Upma is cooked the previous night . Once it has cooled down, they are soaked in curd and refrigerated. They are then served for breakfast, cold. 

My uncle vouches for the taste and I am so tempted to try 😊.

Godhumai Rava Upma

Godhumai Rava Upma | Broken Wheat Upma Recipe :

Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 2-3
1 cup = 250 ml cup

Ingredients :

1 cup dalia/broken wheat/godhumai rava
3 cups water 
1 medium size onion ( finely chopped)
1 medium size tomato ( finely chopped)
salt to taste 

To temper :

1 tablespoon coconut oil ( or ghee or oil of your choice )
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon channa dal/Bengal gram
1 teaspoon urad dal/husked and split black gram
2-3 green chillies ( finely chopped)
1 sprig curry leaves  

Method :

1. In a heavy pan, dry roast the dalia till the raw smell disappears.
2. Wash and soak the dalia in 3 cups of water. 
Chef tip : You can soak for 10 minutes.
3. Heat a pressure cooker with oil. 
4. Temper with ingredients given for the same .
5. Add onions and tomatoes and cook till the onions are transparent .

6. Add salt and the soaked dalia along with the  water.


7. Pressure cook upto 2 whistles and switch off.
Chef tip : I used a 3.5 litre pressure cooker. 
8. Open after the pressure releases completely. 


Chef tip : You can cook in open pot also. Keep it closed and stir occasionally. Adjust water quantity. 

Your wholesome Godhumai Rava Upma is now ready .

Broken Wheat Upma Recipe



Happy Cooking !

With love,

Masterchefmom













No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...